Four chengguan urban management officials have received prison sentences of up to 11 years for...
by Anne Henochowicz | Aug 7, 2013
A People’s Daily Weibo comment on the complaints of the people has only given the people more reason to complain. The state-run paper urged readers to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, rather than throw their hands up at a...
by Samuel Wade | Aug 6, 2013
An attempt to capitalize on widespread outrage at chengguan urban management staff was foiled by the continuing heat wave on Saturday, when a supposedly dead “beating victim” had to get up for a drink of water. From...
by Anne Henochowicz | Jul 30, 2013
Last week, Luobowang (“Carrot Net”) invited readers to satirize a public service advertisement in the state-run Global Times [zh]: How did China get strong? Because of the Communist Party. 中国何以强？缘有共产党 The newspaper...
by Samuel Wade | Jul 19, 2013
On Tuesday, China Daily published a partial translation of an article from People’s Daily expressing bewilderment at the unpopularity of chengguan urban management officials. “Perhaps,” it suggested,...
by Anne Henochowicz | Jul 19, 2013
Warning: Some of the images shown below are graphic. The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. Chinese journalists and bloggers often refer to...
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions