At the Los Angeles Times, Michael Meyer, author of “In Manchuria: A Village Called Wasteland...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 24, 2013
Reuters’ Adam Jourdan reports China’s latest food safety scandal: the alleged use of...
by Sophie Beach | Feb 14, 2013
The Wall Street Journal explores land ownership in China, and the economic and political factors which lead to farmers being pushed off their land and often into lives of poverty: The root of the problem is an economic system...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 15, 2011
The Associated Press reports that a group of farmers petitioning for land seizure compensation were arrested and physically restrained for days to deny them access to visiting US Vice President Joe Biden: The farmers, all women...
by Sophie Beach | Jul 6, 2011
The Los Angeles Times takes a look at why China’s farmers are getting left behind in the economic reform process: …With global food prices rising, particularly in China’s cities, conventional wisdom had it that...
by Sophie Beach | Apr 25, 2011
Reuters reports on how the urbanization of China is transforming life for those left behind to till the land: The virtual absence of any farmers under 40 speaks to China’s urbanization. Youngsters decamp as soon as they...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods