At the Los Angeles Times, Michael Meyer, author of “In Manchuria: A Village Called Wasteland...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 24, 2013
Reuters’ Adam Jourdan reports China’s latest food safety scandal: the alleged use of...
by Sophie Beach | Feb 14, 2013
The Wall Street Journal explores land ownership in China, and the economic and political factors which lead to farmers being pushed off their land and often into lives of poverty: The root of the problem is an economic system...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 15, 2011
The Associated Press reports that a group of farmers petitioning for land seizure compensation were arrested and physically restrained for days to deny them access to visiting US Vice President Joe Biden: The farmers, all women...
by Sophie Beach | Jul 6, 2011
The Los Angeles Times takes a look at why China’s farmers are getting left behind in the economic reform process: …With global food prices rising, particularly in China’s cities, conventional wisdom had it that...
by Sophie Beach | Apr 25, 2011
Reuters reports on how the urbanization of China is transforming life for those left behind to till the land: The virtual absence of any farmers under 40 speaks to China’s urbanization. Youngsters decamp as soon as they...
CDT in the News
- Human Rights Watch – Chinese Cyber Legend Vanishes, Raising Concerns
- PRI The World – Front row seat at China’s 100th anniversary celebrations
- Mind Matters – Chinese Communist Party: 100 Years of Erasing, Rewriting History
- The Jamestown Foundation – The 2021 Party History Study Campaign Stresses Revolution and Sacrifice
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’