A suicide bombing in a rural Guangdong village left five dead and five injured on Monday, March 22. A swiftly imposed media blackout left details of the incident vague but it seems that the attacker, a 59-year-old local, was...
by Grace | Nov 12, 2017
Wukan, once hailed as China’s “democracy village,” has become a site of intense...
by Josh Rudolph | Apr 27, 2017
Tsinghua University Professor of Sociology Sun Liping last week launched the WeChat public account...
by Samuel Wade | Dec 27, 2016
The Guangdong village of Wukan won global fame and some democratic concessions in 2011 when...
by Josh Rudolph | Dec 24, 2013
The AP reports that a Christian congregation’s Christmas meeting in Nanle county, Henan...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods