Edward Wong at the New York Times looks at how the crackdown on the sex trade in Dongguan,...
by Paulina Hartono | Aug 2, 2010
Activist Ye Haiyan was detained after she made a call to legalize prostitution. From the Associated Press: Ye Haiyan was nabbed at the offices of her community group, the China Women’s Rights Workshops, and told she would...
by Xiao Qiang | May 17, 2009
Bruce Humes writes in his blog: Don’t let media in the West fool you—talking about sex in China is not taboo. But apparently references to female genitalia and orgasms are still big no-nos. To see how such touchy subjects are...
by Zhaohua Li | Nov 6, 2006
China’s sexual revolution apparently has its limits, even in Guangzhou. From Reuters: Chinese sociologists said that the country should promote bolder attitudes toward sex, but that wife-swapping was off the agenda, state media reported Monday. Chinese attitudes toward sex have relaxed in recent decades, triggering a boom in extramarital relationships which the Communist Party has […]
by Sophie Beach | Jun 24, 2005
From the Guardian: The Shaki adult toy factory in Shenzhen is an orgy of production. And though nothing could seem less erotic to the workers, their output is testimony to the growing passion of consumers for China’s latest boom industry: sex. The country now provides 70% of the world’s sex toys. While the bulk of […]
CDT in the News
- PBS Newshour – Examining the human toll of China’s stringent COVID policy
- Mind Matters – Peng Shuai Backtracks Her Accusations
- Global Times – Western media, anti-China forces use MeToo movement to incite gender antagonism: expert
- WSJ – China Fines Weibo for Spreading ‘Illegal Information’
- The Guardian – China’s troll king: how a tabloid editor became the voice of Chinese nationalism