China’s State Council this week released new definitions of conduct punishable under the...
by Josh Rudolph | May 4, 2017
In an essay shared on WeChat last month, investigative journalist Jiang Xue (江雪) commented on the increasingly tight restrictions on speech amid continuing security and ideological crackdowns by the Xi administration. The essay...
by Samuel Wade | Jun 23, 2014
Last week, the shroud of silence around the case of detained Uyghur scholar Ilham Tohti sparked...
by Paulina Hartono | Jul 30, 2010
The New York Times reports on the sentencing of three Uighur webmasters: Three men accused of “endangering state security” for their role in maintaining popular Uighur-language Web sites have been sentenced to prison terms of 3...
CDT in the News
- VOA – China Media Directives Reveal Granular Detail of State Censorship
- The Jamestown Foundation – Early Warning Brief: Factional Strife Intensifies as Xi Strives to Consolidate Power
- Politico – China’s crypto ban fuels new U.S. wedge issue
- RFA – Meng Wanzhou Arrest, Return Used as Patriotic Talking Point in Chinese Schools
- Colombo Gazette – Digital autocracy in China: An appraisal