Pastor Wang Yi, the founder of the underground Early Rain Covenant Church and staunch critic of Xi Jinping’s heavy-handed policies, has been sentenced to nine years in prison for “subversion of state power” and...
by Josh Rudolph | Nov 3, 2016
Relations between the Vatican and China have been uneasy since the CCP took charge of the country...
by Paulina Hartono | Nov 26, 2009
Five underground church leaders in Shanxi have been given jail sentences on charges of “illegal land occupation” and “assembling a crowd to disrupt public order.” From Christopher Bodeen for the Associated Press: A court in...
by cschultz | Dec 24, 2008
The Vatican has agreed to Cardinal Joseph Zen Ze-kiun’s request to step down from his post in 2009: [The Cardinal] said he would spend more time monitoring Catholic churches in mainland China, according to The Associated...
by Morgan Figuers | Jul 20, 2008
China continues its suppression of dissenters before the Olympic Games, today targeting a Christian pastor and his wife. From the U.K. Guardian: Chinese police have removed a prominent Beijing-based pastor and his wife from the...
CDT in the News
- FT – Chinese censors take aim at former premier Wen Jiabao’s essay
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers