Late on Tuesday, a 6.5 magnitude earthquake hit Sichuan’s Jiuzhaigou County, killing at...
Wenzhou rail crash
by Anne Henochowicz | Jul 24, 2014
Yesterday, the remains of some of the victims the Malaysia Airlines flight shot down over eastern...
by Anne Henochowicz | Jul 10, 2013
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. Chinese journalists and bloggers often refer to these instructions as “Directives from the Ministry...
by Sophie Beach | Oct 15, 2012
In the New Yorker, Evan Osnos has written an in-depth exploration of the July 2011 train crash in Wenzhou, which killed 40 people and generated online outrage over the government’s handling of the tragedy. Osnos pieces...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods