In partnership with the China Copyright and Media blog, CDT is adding the “Beijing Internet Instructions” series to the Censorship Vault. These directives were originally published on Canyu.org (Participate) and date from 2005 to 2007. According to Canyu, the directives were issued by the Beijing Municipal Network Propaganda Management Office and the State Council Internet management departments and provided to to Canyu by insiders. China Copyright and Media has not verified the source.
23 July 2006, 14:30, Network Management Office, Chen Hua
“The ‘Problem Loan’ of 3.2 Billion Eliminates Zhang Rongkun” in the 21st Century Business Herald is not to be reprinted without exception, or to be discussed in forums. It cannot be put on blogs. Where it is discovered, delete it immediately. Make “Zhang Rongkun” into a keyword on blog networks. No corresponding content may appear on forums, columns and individual blogs.
25 July 2006, 10:00, Network Management Office, Duty Manager
Please direct all search results for “Hu Haiqing” and “Lang Xianping” towards news websites, clean up all information about these two persons, including forums and blogs, which must be cleaned op, only maintain the content of news websites.
26 July 2006, 10:11, Chen Hua
(1) Concerning the issue of the North Korea nuclear crisis, forums are no longer to actively set up discussion topics; (2) Discussions concerning the household situation of Kim Jong-il or against South Korea may not be played up, lower the temperature on forums; (3) Please remove the First Financial Daily report concerning reform of undertaking work units from the front page of news and the front page of websites; (4) It is strictly prohibited to gather news or translate foreign news dispatches about the attack on United Nations observers, manage posts and forums well; (5) do not play up the incident of the Italian woman who was murdered in Chaoyang Park.
26 July 2006, 14:06
Propaganda and reporting requirements for activities to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Tangshan earthquake.
I. Give prominence to propaganda and reporting focus points. Propagate the magnificent achievements of the recovery and rebuilding in Tangshan in the 30 years since the earthquake and changes in economic and social development, propagate the “quake-proof spirit” of “being selfless in official duty, going through tough times together, keeping fighting in spite of setbacks and advancing bravely.”
II. Report important events online well. On 27 and 28 July, Xinhua and the People’s Daily will respectively transmit news reports reflecting the huge developments and changes in Tangshan’s economy and society in the 30 years since the Tangshan earthquake and especially since the 16th Party Congress; on 28 July, Xinhua will transmit copy concerning a large remembrance conference for the 30th anniversary of the Tangshan earthquake of the Hebei Provincial Party Committee and the provincial government; on 28 July, China National Radio and China Central Television will respectively produce and broadcast special subject programs, reflecting the huge economic and social developments and changes in the 30 years since the Tangshan earthquake and especially since the 16th Party Congress; at the end of July, main Central news work units will issue information about Hebei provincial leaders meeting with and consoling orphans who survived the Tangshan earthquake and people who were disabled. All websites must timely and fully report the important above activities well, and must timely transmit information, comment and remembrance articles from the People’s Daily, Xinhua and other main central news work units.
III. Strengthen online public opinion guidance and management. For all websites’ corresponding copy, only copy from main central news work units and main Hebei provincial news work units may be used, important copy must be checked and inspected by the responsible person himself, it is strictly prohibited to translate and issue foreign media copy, instructions must be requested for issues of uncertainty. A good atmosphere must be created for remembrance activities, do not discuss and do not play up predictions of the Tangshan earthquake in that year, the level of the earthquake, the refusal to accept foreign aid, the fact that casualty numbers have not been officially published, etc., prevent that there are people who slander the image of the Party and there government under the guise of so-called “rethinking” “uncovering,” etc. Management over forums, blogs, news trackers and other interactive columns must be strengthened, timely block and delete rumors, attacks, distortions and all other kinds of harmful information.
26 July 2006, 17:31, Network Management Office
Concerning the matter of the closure of Century China, is not to be reprinted or discussed without exception.
26 July 2006, 21:04, Network Management Office
Everyone: Concerning the matter of Chinese peacekeeping personnel being killed in Israeli air raids, pay attention to grasping the following six points in reporting:
(1) Strictly use standard sources, it is prohibited to self-gather news, do not engage in VIP chats, continuous interviews, etc.
(2) Strictly manage posts, do not point fingers at the Israeli people.
(3) Focus on reporting our leaders’ comforting and caring for the killed personnel and their relatives.
(4) Confirm the spirit of our peacekeepers of devotion to duty in the chaos of war, and brave contributions and sacrifices, as well as the contribution made in preserving peace.
(5) According to the central theme of the talks of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson, condemn the action of bombing. Pay attention not to point fingers at the Israeli people.
(6) Objectively report the declarations of the United Nations and relevant countries.
27 July 2006, 20:55, Network Management Office, Duty Manager MSN
“The Qinghai-Tibet Railway Infrastructure Operation Situation Is Good, There Are A Few Sections Where the Trackbed Subsides”
(1) Do not issue it in the important news section.
(2) Do not issue it on the main page of websites.
(3) Do not open trackers.
(4) No longer send short messages.
(5) Deal with this in a low-key manner.
Please immediately deal with this.
28 July 2006, 16:20, Network Management Office, Duty Manager
“Beijing Puts Forward Design Plan for a Capital of Five Colors – Central Park to Be Built in Wangfujing,” this articles is only an internal discussion paper, and is not the final plan, reports are inaccurate. All websites are requested to immediately delete it.
31 July 2006, 18:51, Network Management Office, Duty Manager
(1) All websites will make “democracy course” and “democracy course – electronic version” into keywords and block it.
(2) Concerning reporting on the periodical elections of district and county people’s congresses, all websites are only to report matters once, do not set up special subjects.
(3) Continue to earnestly block and screen out the article Nine Criticisms of the Communist Party.
31 July 2006, 21:10, Network Management Office, Duty Manager
NetEase Community: Concerning the survey of the ethnic emotions in China in the near future, there are 11 problems in total, please delete it, other websites may not reprint it.
2006年7月23日14时30分 新闻办 陈华
二、做好重要活动网上报道。7月27日和28日，新华社和人民日报将先后播发反映唐山地震30年来特别是十六大以来唐山经济社会巨大发展变化的通 讯；7月28日，新华社将播发河北省委、省政府举行唐山地震30周年纪念大会通稿；7月28日前后，中央电台、中央电视台将分别制作播出专题节目，反映唐 山地震30年来特别是十六大以来经济社会巨大发展变化；7月底，中央主要新闻单位将刊播河北省领导走访慰问唐山地震中幸存孤儿和伤残人员的消息。各网站要 及时、充分地报道好上述重要活动，要及时转发人民日报、新华社等中央主要新闻单位刊发的消息、评论和纪念文章。
三、加强网上舆论引导和管理。各网站相关稿件只转发中央主要新闻单位和河北省主要新闻单位稿件，重要稿件要由负责人亲自把关审发，严禁编译转发境外 媒体稿件，拿不准的问题要及时请示。要为纪念活动营造良好氛围，对当年唐山地震预报、地震级别、拒收外援和未正式公布伤亡数字等问题不争论、不炒作，防止 有人借所谓”反思”、”揭秘”之名诋毁党和政府的形象。要加强对论坛、博客和新闻跟帖等互动栏目的管理，及时封堵和删除造谣、攻击、歪曲等各类有害信息。