In partnership with the China Copyright and Media blog, CDT is adding the “Beijing Internet Instructions” series to the Censorship Vault. These directives were originally published on Canyu.org (Participate) and date from 2005 to 2007. According to Canyu, the directives were issued by the Beijing Municipal Network Propaganda Management Office and the State Council Internet management departments and provided to to Canyu by insiders. China Copyright and Media has not verified the source.
The translations are by Rogier Creemers of China Copyright and Media.
23 October 2006, 19:00, Beijing Municipal Network Management Office, Duty manager
Please do not reprint the Lookout Oriental Weekly article “Chongqing Civil Servants Write Short Messages Remonstrating Against Present-Day Evils to More than One Hundred People for Survey,” where it has been reprinted, please immediately remove it. This article may also not be posted in forums or blogs.
24 October 2006, 9:08, Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau Network Supervision Office, Sun Ying
Delete the video concerning the Jiangxi Gan River Academy students making trouble, please delete text and images after backing up and investigate IPs.
24 October 2006, 15:30, Network Management Office, Duty manager
Mass-type student events successively occurred in the Jiangxi Gan River Vocational Academy, the Jiangxi Apparel Academy and other people-run academies, this matter is still extending, all websites are requested to strengthen management, it is prohibited to post text, images or video information in forums, news trackers or blogs concerning the mass-type student incidents in Jiangxi higher education institutes, please earnestly inspect online situations, timely delete this sort of information.
24 October 2006, 13:27, Beijing Municipal Information Office
I. All websites are to remove news concerning SK-2 cosmetics to the back stages, this is no longer to be discussed in forums and blogs.
II. News of beautiful women collecting pictures of the lower body half of men online, is no longer to be played up, remove it to the back stage, do not guide discussions in forums and blogs.
24 October 2006, Haidian Bureau Science, Technology and Information Communication Office
Notice concerning Guaranteeing Internet Information Security during the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation Period
The Forum on China-Africa Cooperation Beijing Summit will be convened from 1 November to 5 November in Beijing, more than 3400 delegates from more than 40 will participate in this summit, which is one of the major foreign affairs events in our country this year, in order to provide a good and harmonious network atmosphere for the Forum, and guarantee Internet network information security during the period of the Forum in our district, the following work requirements are hereby notified:
(1) All work units are requested to strictly implement network security management systems, formulate emergency guarantee plans for the Forum period, immediately implement a specialist duty management structure, and report the name and contact telephone number of the duty manager to our office before 30 October through e-mail (e-mail: email@example.com);
(2) In order to guarantee that management is conducted even better over websites having established forums, chat rooms, BBS, electronic announcement columns, and other service programs, and effectively prevent the occurrence of sudden incidents, all websites providing forum services are requested to open up super-user management powers for our office’s network supervision and inspection office (being the powers to delete content), and report this to our office before 30 October through e-mail;
(3) During the Forum period, it is necessary to persist in an approval first and posting later system for posts, focus supervision and control on sensitive topics and active columns, vigorously discover harmful information, and especially where situations such as mass-type public order incidents, Falun Gong, etc., occur, it must be achieved that as soon as they are discovered, they are immediately deleted, and attention must be paid to timely preserving clues and timely reporting our office. Contact telephone: 82571260, contact person: Yu Haiyang.
Haidian Bureau Science, Technology and Information Communication Bureau
24 October 2006
15 October 2006, 10:00, Beijing Municipal Information Office
All websites’ articles concerning SK-2 are no longer to be reprinted in the important news section of the news center, posts are not to be recommended on the front page, no longer produce new special subjects or special columns, existing special subjects must be put on the back stage, new report articles are no longer to link to the original special subject.
26 October 2006, 10:51, Beijing Municipal Information Office, Chai Yue
All websites are requested to immediately delete the text content of “Masterstroke Confuses Bureau” issued in the “News Investigation” column of CCTV on 23 October. Related higher education institute mass-type incidents may not be reported without exception, and management over forums, blogs, instant communication and other interactive columns must be strengthened, delete all corresponding text, image and video content.
26 October 2006, Beijing Municipal Information Office
Notice concerning Further Doing Online Propaganda and Reporting Work of the 6th Plenum of the 16th Party Congress Well
All websites: Studying, propagating, and implementing the spirit of the 6th Plenum of the 16th Party Congress is an important political task in the present and future periods’ Internet news and propaganda work, Qianlong Net and all main commercial portal websites must further do propaganda, reporting, and management work concerning the 6th Plenum of the 16th Party Congress well, and strive to create a harmonious online public opinion atmosphere.
I. General requirements
Earnestly implement the general requirements and uniform deployment of the Center, fully give rein to the superiority and characteristics of the Internet, deeply propagate the spirit of the important speech of General Secretary Hu Jintao at the Plenum, deeply propagate the “CCP Central Committee Decision concerning Some Major Issues in Building a Harmonious Society” (hereafter simply named “Decision”), promote studying and implementing the spirit of the 6th Plenum of the 16th Party Committee, create a strong online public opinion atmosphere for welcoming the victorious convention of the 17th Party Congress, building a Socialist harmonious society, completely constructing a relatively well-off society, and initiating a new picture for the undertaking of Socialism with Chinese characteristics, further enhance recognition and understanding of the outside world of all of our principles and policies, work measures and China’s development progress situation.
II, Propaganda focus points
Strengthen online propaganda and reporting on the 6th Plenum of the 16th Party Congress, the key is to grasp the following points well and achieve the seven deeps: first, deeply propagate the spirit of General Secretary Hu Jintao’s important speech and the major significance of the “Decision”. Propagate the deep elaboration of General Secretary Hu Jintao concerning building a Socialist harmonious society, the important deployment to implement the spirit of the Plenum, as well as the correct requirements put forward to do the present work well. Propagate the guiding ideology, objectives and tasks, work principles and major deployments on building a Socialist harmonious society put forward in the “Decision.” Second, deeply propagate the importance and urgency of building a Socialist harmonious society. Propagate that social harmony is an essential property of Socialism with Chinese characteristics, and is an important guarantee for the country’s wealth and strength, the vitalization of the nation and the happiness of the people. Third, deeply propagate the guiding ideology, objectives, tasks, and principles for building a Socialist harmonious society. Fourth, deeply propagate the series of important measures of the Center concerning building a Socialist harmonious society. Fifth, deeply propagate the strengthening of Party leadership over the construction of a Socialist harmonious society. Sixth, deeply propagate the real actions of the entire party and the people of all ethnicities in the entire country in deeply studying and implementing the spirit of the Plenum and welcoming the victorious convention of the 17th Party Congress. Seventh, deeply propagate the fine aspirations and real actions of the Chinese Communist Party and the Chinese government in persisting in marching the peaceful development path, and proposing the construction of a peaceful world.
III. Propaganda arrangements
(1) All websites are to set up “6th Plenum” and “Harmonious Society Construction” special subjects. On the main page of websites and main news pages, continuously strengthen reporting of the 6th Plenum of the 16th Party Congress. The special subjects must be maintained in the first position of the focus special subjects, and real-time news is to be used in the important news section to create a special subject entry point; after all websites roll out a real-time news special section, they shall put real-time news on the 6th Plenum in the first position, and make it into a special subject entry point.
(2) Timely reprint focus articles and focus reports from focus Central news and network media. The People’s Daily, Xinhua, and other main Central news media will successively publish a series of theoretical articles, expert interviews, hot spot interpretations, comments, and discussions in the near future, and roll out a batch of advanced models in building a harmonious society, websites must timely follow up, and prominently, timely, and correctly reprint these reports.
(3) Meticulously design special subject column content, strengthen attractiveness and infectiousness. All websites must earnestly plan special subjects, ensure that propaganda on home pages and main pages and special subject or special column propaganda is mutually coordinated and mutually resonating, and fully use text, images, audiovisuals, and many other propaganda methods to shape momentum and shape influence.
(4) Open up an online study and tutoring garden. All websites are to give rein to the dissemination superiority of the Internet, and provide online study and tutoring support for the propaganda of the spirit of the 6th Plenum of the 16th Party Committee. They must provide inquiry services for important documents, materials, and data to netizens, and may invite expert academics for online interviews under the condition of asking the Municipal Network Management Office for permission, to provide theoretical and policy tutorial services.
(5) Arrange propaganda on forums, blogs, and other interactive columns well. Constructive discussion topics may be set up, strengthen propaganda through VIP interviews, special subject discussion, excellent article recommendations, hot spot listings, online article soliciting, and other methods, to vigorously and actively guide netizen discussion.
(6) Strengthen reports on studying and implementing the spirit of the 6th Plenum of the 16th Party Congress in Beijing. Qianlong Net will set up a special Beijing column, and strengthen reports concerning Beijing City studying the spirit of General Secretary Hu Jintao’s important speech and the “Decision,” and timely reprints important articles and reports from the Beijing Daily and other municipally-subordinate traditional media; all other commercial websites must appropriately strengthen reports on all walks of life studying, propagating, and implementing the spirit of the 6th Plenum of the 16th Party Congress.
IV. Strengthen guidance and management over online public opinion. In the near future, public opinion guidance work in the following few areas must be stressed, all websites are to strengthen management over trackers and forums with reference to them. First, the nature and deep connotations of the Socialist harmonious society must be completely elaborated. Second, it must be fully explained that building a harmonious society reflects the Party’s persistent putting the basic interest of the broadest people as the starting point and stopover point for all Party and government work. Third, it must be deeply elaborated that the Party and government pay even more attention to the development of social undertakings, pay even more attention to resolving the problems of imbalanced development, and promote the coordinated development of economy and society. Fourth, guidance must be strengthened over social security, labor, and employment, education fairness, healthcare and hygiene services, and other hot sports and issues that the masses are concerned about. Fifth, public opinion guidance over running the web in a civilized manner and using the web in a civilized manner must be continuously strengthened, forcefully build an online harmonious culture.
V. Assessment and rewards. In order to encourage all websites to do propaganda and reporting of the spirit of the 6th Plenum of the 16th Party Congress, the Municipal Network Management Office will conduct assessment and rewards of all websites’ propaganda situation concerning the spirit of the 6th Plenum of the 16th Party Congress. At the end of November, the Municipal Network Management Office will organize experts, to comprehensively mark all websites’ arrangement of special subject positions, special subject content, propaganda forms, propaganda and public opinion guidance in interactive columns, website and news front pages, management situations, etc., and the first three sites will be given material and spiritual awards, those with insufficient propaganda are criticized (comparative assessment and award standards are notified separately).
VI. Propaganda requirements. First, training for website editors concerning the spirit of the 6th Plenum of the 16th Party Congress must be strengthened. The Municipal Network Management Office will organize and convene special subject lectures to study the spirit of the 6th Plenum of the 16th Party Congress. All websites must also internally organize editors to focus on studying the spirit of General Secretary Hu Jintao’s important speech and the spirit of the “Decision,” to raise their understanding of the spirit of the 6th Plenum of the 16th Party Congress, raise the level of online propaganda work, and realistically implement online management work measures. Second, a harmonious network must be forcefully built, and harmonious culture construction stimulated. All websites must strictly implement laws, regulations and rules, standardize news sources, and resist false news; correctly grasp well the propaganda specifications, proportions, strength, and rhythm. The major theoretical viewpoints and major policy deployments put forward by the Plenum must on the one hand be propagated on a grand scale, and on the other hand, it is necessary to strive in terms of complete understanding and correct grasping, to assist the broad cadres and masses to deeply comprehend the new viewpoints, new thoughts, new measures, and new requirements put forward by the Plenum. Third, network management must be grasped, creating harmonious online public opinion. Propaganda and reporting of the spirit of the 6th Plenum has a strong political nature, policy nature, and theoretical nature, all websites must strengthen management and strictly abide by propaganda discipline. They must pay close attention to online public opinion, strengthen management over forums, news trackers, blogs, mobile phone messages, and search engine services, they must timely and firmly block and delete harmful information that seizes the opportunity to attack the Party and the government, attack the Socialist system, disseminate so-called major personnel arrangement rumors, disseminate illegal mass incidents and activities, incite incidents influencing social stability, destroy the unity of the nation, violate State religious policies, etc. For uncertain cases, instructions must be sought from the Network Management Office, and it must be examined first and issued afterwards.
Beijing Municipal Internet Propaganda Management Office
26 October 2006, 11:53, Beijing Municipal Network Management Office
(1) Concerning the Jinghua Times news “19 Melon Growers Claim Damages From Ministry of Agriculture,” this has been verified, the said report is inaccurate, all websites already having this news are to push this to the back stage without exception.
(2) Starting tomorrow, look for articles concerning traffic control during the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation period every day, and issue it in in the important news section.
26 October 2006, 12:43, Beijing Municipal Information Office, Chai Yue
All websites are not to use the word “live” for the Chirac speech.
26 October 2006, 18:08, Beijing Municipal Information Office, Chen Hua
Concerning discussions on real-name systems for blogs, do not make this into special subjects, do not publish headers on blog pages, do not conduct surveys, do not engage in contention, controversy, name-signing, etc.; forums are not to actively set up topics. Concerning these topics, they are to be removed without exception from main pages of websites and main news pages, the main pages of blogs and forums, approving voices must occupy the mainstream.
27 October 2006, 14:23, Beijing Municipal Information Office, Yang Le
Instructions concerning the news “Tickets May Be Purchased with a Real-Name System on Tieliu Net ” published by the Chongqing Evening News, this has been verified, and the said news report is inaccurate, all websites that have already published this, please delete it.
27 October 2006, 14:23, Beijing Municipal Information Office
(1) Instructions concerning the news “Tickets May Be Purchased with a Real-Name System on Tieliu Net ” published by the Chongqing Evening News, this has been verified, and the said news report is inaccurate, all websites that have already published this, please delete it.
(2) All websites are requested to immediately delete the content of the text “Masterstroke Confuses Bureau” published in the “News Survey” column of CCTV on 23 October. Concerning the mass incidents in higher education institutes, no reports are to be made without exception, and strengthen management over forums, blogs, instant communications, and other interactive columns, delete all relevant text, image, and video content.
27 October 2006, 15:41, Beijing Municipal Information Office, Yang Le
Concerning the Xinhua Net news flash “145 Measurable Earthquakes Occurred in the Three Gorges Reservoir Since Filling up with Water,” all websites are requested to push this to the back stage without exception.
27 October 2006, 15:41, Beijing Municipal Information Office, Chen Hua
The information on “70% of Beijing Olympic Ticket Sale Estimate of 7 Million for Domestic Market” reported by the Beijing Evening News on 17 October is incorrect, websites are requested not to reprint it, where it has been reprinted, please delete it.
30 October 2006, 14:36, Beijing Municipal Information Office
If articles with content similar to this are discovered, please delete them immediately (the State Council Information Office is currently investigating this issue) http://bbs.people.com.cn/bbs/ReadFile?whichfile=13123062&typeid=14.
30 October 2006, 15:12, Beijing Municipal Information Office, Huang Jing
All websites: In recent days, some websites reprinted reports from Caijing magazine, etc., concerning the Guomei Group chairman Huang Guangyu, which do not conform to provisions on news reprint sources. All websites must strictly implement corresponding regulations, and may not reprint information from sources not conform to regulations, where it has been reprinted, it must be immediately deleted.
30 October 2006, 17:21, Beijing Municipal Information Office, Huang Jing
All websites: please reprint this text on the main page of news centers: http://paper.people.com.cn/rmrb/html/2006-10/30/content_11572323.htm.
31 October 2006, 17:31, Beijing Municipal Information Office, Huang Jing
(1) All websites: Recently, the well-known sexologist Li Yinhe has successively published discussions on the legality of “wife-swapping” and “incest,” all websites are requested to immediately delete corresponding reports, and to push special subjects that are being discussed to the back stage.
(2) Today, some websites have reprinted the Zhang Yimou article “West Lake Impressions” on destruction of the ecological environment, which triggered netizen discussion. According to the opinion of Hangzhou City, these articles diverge relatively largely from facts, all websites are requested to immediately delete corresponding articles. Online forums and blogs are no longer to discuss this.
31 October 2006, 17:58, Beijing Municipal Information Office, Huang Jing
All websites, please delete the article “‘Glamor Community’s Selection Being Questioned – Community Streets Solicit Votes by Giving Gifts” published by the Jinghua Times today.
一、总体要求认真贯彻执行中央的总体要求和统一部署，充分发挥互联网的优势和特点，深入宣传胡锦涛总书记在全会上的重要讲话精神，深入宣传《中共中 央关于构建社会主义和谐社会若干重大问题的决定》（以下简称《决定》），推动十六届六中全会精神的学习和贯彻，为迎接党的十七大胜利召开、构建社会主义和 谐社会、全面建设小康社会、开创中国特色社会主义事业新局面营造浓厚的网上舆论氛围，进一步增进国外对我各项方针政策、工作举措和中国发展进步情况的认识 理解。
二、宣传重点加强十六届六中全会网上宣传报道，关键是要把握好以下重点，做到七个深入：一是深入宣传胡锦涛总书记重要讲话精神和《决定》的重大意 义。宣传胡锦涛总书记关于构建社会主义和谐社会的深刻阐述，关于贯彻落实全会精神的重要部署，以及对做好当前工作提出的明确要求。宣传《决定》提出的构建 社会主义和谐社会的指导思想、目标任务、工作原则和重大部署。二是深入宣传构建社会主义和谐社会的重要性和紧迫性。宣传社会和谐是中国特色社会主义的本质 属性，是国家富强、民族振兴、人民幸福的重要保证。三是深入宣传构建社会主义和谐社会的指导思想、目标任务和原则。四是深入宣传中央关于构建社会主义和谐 社会的一系列重要举措。五是深入宣传加强党对构建社会主义和谐社会的领导。六是深入宣传全党全国各族人民深入学习贯彻全会精神、迎接十七大胜利召开的实际 行动。七是深入宣传中国共产党和中国政府坚持走和平发展道路、倡导建设和谐世界的良好愿望和实际行动。
四、加强对网上舆论的引导和管理近期要着重做好以下几个方面的舆论引导工作，各网站参照加强对跟贴和论坛的管理。一是要全面阐释社会主义和谐社会的 性质和深刻内涵。二是要充分说明构建和谐社会体现了党始终把最广大人民的根本利益作为党和政府一切工作的出发点和落脚点。三是要深入阐明党和政府更加注重 社会事业的发展，更加注重解决发展不平衡问题，推动经济社会协调发展。四是要加强对社会保障、劳动就业、教育公平、医疗卫生服务等群众关心的热点问题的引 导。五是要继续加强文明办网、文明上网的舆论引导，大力建设网上和谐文化。
五、评比表彰为鼓励各网站做好十六届六中全会精神的宣传报道，市网管办将对各网站开展十六届六中全会精神宣传情况进行评比表彰。 11月底，市网管办将组织专家，依据各网站安排专题位置、专题内容、宣传形式、互动栏目、网站和新闻首页宣传、舆论引导、管理情况进行综合打分，对前三名 予以物质和精神奖励，对宣传不到位者予以批评（具体评比和奖励标准另行通知）。
六、宣传要求一是要加强对网站编辑人员十六届六中全会精神的培训。市网管办将组织开展学习十六届六中全会精神的专题讲座。各网站也要在内部组织编辑 重点学习胡锦涛总书记重要讲话和《决定》精神，提高对十六届六中全会精神的理解力，提高网上宣传工作水平，切实落实网上管理工作措施。二是要大力构建和谐 网络，促进和谐文化建设。各网站要严格执行法律法规和规章，规范新闻来源，抵制虚假新闻；准确把握好宣传的口径、分寸、力度和节奏。对全会提出的重大理论 观点和重大决策部署，一方面要大张旗鼓地进行宣传，另一方面要在全面理解、准确把握上下功夫，帮助广大干部群众深刻领会全会提出的新观点、新思想、新举 措、新要求。三是要抓好网络管理，营造和谐网上舆论。六中全会精神的宣传报道，政治性、政策性、理论性很强，各网站要加强管理，严格遵守宣传纪律。要密切 关注网上舆情，加强对论坛、新闻跟帖、博客、手机短信、搜索引擎服务的管理，对借机攻击党和政府、攻击社会主义制度、散布所谓重大人事安排谣言、传播非法 群体事件活动、煽动影响社会稳定事件、破坏民族团结、违反国家宗教政策等有害信息，要及时、坚决地封堵和删除。拿不准的问题要请示市网管办先审后发。
These translated directives were first posted by Rogier Creemers on China Copyright and Media on December 9, 2012 (here).