Update: See “dissenting vote.”
As of March 15, the following search terms are blocked on Sina Weibo (not including the “search for user” function).
National People’s Congress:
- dissenting vote (反对票): One delegate voted against Xi Jinping in the presidential election, held at the Congress. Global Voices reports on netizen reactions.
- predict + leaders (预测+领导人): see Netizen Voices: At NPC, Nail-Biter of an Election.
- predict + chairman (预测+主席)
- predict + prime minister (预测+总理)
- lifetime achievement award (终身成就奖): A jab at outgoing prime minister Wen Jiabao.
- power + handover (权力+交接)
- Hu-Xi (胡习): Hu Jintao and Xi Jinping
- Xi-Hu (习胡)
- Xi-Li (习李): Xi Jinping and Li Keqiang
All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
Browse all of CDT’s collected sensitive words in this bilingual Google spreadsheet.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information. To add words, check out the form at the bottom of CDT Chinese’s latest sensitive words post.