Propaganda Directives Most Popular on CDT in 2016
To mark the end of the year, CDT has collected the top ten most read stories on our site in 2016. Stories revealing government censorship, especially from our Directives from the Ministry of Truth and Sensitive Words series, were popular favorites once again, as were translations of netizen voices standing up to political power. (For more on the topics singled out for censorship in China this year, read an analysis of Ministry of Truth directives by Freedom House’s Sarah Cook.) Several stories from previous years also got a second life on CDT this year. Happy New Year to all!
Top Ten Most Read Posts on CDT in 2016:
10. China 2008: The Global Financial Crisis
9. I’ll Copy the Constitution, Then Sleep With You
8. Minitrue: 21 Rules on Coverage of the Two Sessions
7. Minitrue: Don’t Hype Video of Toddler Battling Chengguan
6. Sensitive Words: “Interview” with Xi’s First Wife
5. Minitrue: Panama Papers and Foreign Media Attacks
4. Lesbians’ Proposal Fans Fear of “Foreign Forces”
3. Collecting Sensitive Words: The Grass-Mud Horse List
2. Minitrue: “Delete All Content Related to Panama Papers”
1. Loyal Party Members Urge Xi’s Resignation
In the New Year, don’t miss out on any CDT:
- Subscribe to our daily email newsletter
- Follow us on our social media channels, including Twitter and Facebook.
- Download our free iOS app.
- Read Chinese? Don’t miss daily updates from our Chinese site.
- Please also support CDT by purchasing t-shirts, iPhone cases, and other items with unique designs by Badiucao and Hexie Farm. All proceeds go to the artists to support their work.
- You may also make a financial contribution to CDT simply by using Amazon Smile when you shop on Amazon or by making a contribution directly via PayPal.
Thank you for your support of CDT.