At the South China Morning Post, Andrea Chen reports that hundreds of young men living in the...
by Anne Henochowicz | May 16, 2013
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. Central Propaganda Department: Without exception, do not report or comment on [information] about...
by Xiao Qiang | Dec 26, 2008
Barbara Demick reports for the LA Times, from Dongguan, China: Growing up in the Chinese countryside with only an elementary school education, Yang Yanjun had never heard of Christmas until she landed a job painting pink-cheeked...
by Paulina Hartono | Dec 19, 2008
The Jianrong Suitcase Factory in Dongguan, Guangdong closed without warning, and gave its workers only 60% of promised October-December wages. William Foreman of the Associated Press reports on the ensuing riot: On Friday...
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions