As Hu Jintao was bestowing the top Party leadership position on Xi Jinping at the 18th Party...
Nov 8, 2013
Xinhua reports that police are holding a man in connection with Wednesday’s explosions...
Nov 7, 2013
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been...
Sep 24, 2012
Foxconn closed its plant in the city of Taiyuan in northern China’s Shaanxi province on Monday after a brawl involving 2,000 workers broke out in a dormitory late on Sunday night, according to Reuters: The Taiyuan plant,...
Aug 30, 2012
Update: Additional photos added at end of article. Mainland media outlet Hexun reports a display...
May 18, 2007
From People’s Daily, via sohu.com, translated by CDT: The government won’t pay for the death of peasant workers who are working at illegal coal mines, said the Taiyuan Bureau of Land Resources. Instead, workers and mine owners will have to take responsibility for mine accidents and deaths, the bureau said in the Notice to Migrant […]
Nov 22, 2006
From AP: The creator of China’s largest pornographic Web site was jailed for life on Wednesday, state media reported. Xinhua News Agency said judges at the Taiyuan Intermediate People’s Court in Shanxi province gave the life sentence to Chen Hui and handed down terms of 13 months to 10 years to eight others after they […]
CDT in the News
- U.C. San Diego, 21st Century China Center – The Party Remakes China: What to Watch for After the 20th Party Congress
- NYT – China’s ‘Absurd’ Covid Propaganda Stirs Rebellion
- The Economist – The Prince: Searching for Xi Jinping
- FP – China’s War on History Is Growing
- Coda Story newsletter – Chinese censors working overtime to silence dissent on zero-Covid lockdowns in Xinjiang and Tibet