Bloomberg’s Sharon Chen and Dandan Li provide an overview of recent changes to China’s hukou residency permit system, which for decades has tightly controlled citizens’ rights to settle and receive public...
by Samuel Wade | Dec 27, 2016
The Guangdong village of Wukan won global fame and some democratic concessions in 2011 when...
by Josh Rudolph | Nov 15, 2016
Two years after his home was forcefully demolished in 2013 to make room for development in North...
by Josh Rudolph | Sep 21, 2016
Following up on the central government’s earlier promises to reform the controversial hukou...
by Josh Rudolph | Feb 16, 2016
China’s State Council has unveiled a series of proposals aiming to protect the estimated 61...
by Cindy | Dec 21, 2015
On Monday, rescue work continued at an industrial park in Shenzhen a day after a massive landslide...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods