Sensitive Words: Wen Jiabao’s Family Wealth
As of October 26, the following search terms are blocked on Sina Weibo (not including the “search for user” function):
Wealth of Wen Jiabao’s Family Exposed: The English and Chinese New York Times websites were blocked within hours of publishing an exposé on the vast, hidden personal wealth of Prime Minister Wen Jiabao’s relatives. Bloomberg suffered the same fate in June for its investigation into the assets of Xi Jinping’s family. The Times‘ report arrives just two weeks before Wen, Hu Jintao and others hand over power to the next decade of leaders during the 18th Party Congress.
- New York Times (纽约时报)
- Twist Times (扭腰时报): “Twist” (扭腰 niǔyāo, as in the dance) sounds similar to New York (纽约 Niǔyuē).
- New York Times
- New York SB (纽约SB): SB is the pinyin abbreviation for “Times” (时报 shíbào).
- 2.7 billion (27亿): The minimum amount of controlled assets (in U.S. dollars) held by Wen’s relatives, according the the New York Times.
- Wen + assets (温+财产)
- Wen + wealth (温+财富)
- Wen + prime minister (温+总理)
- Wen + family (温+家族)
- Wen treasure (温宝)
- Wen clan (温氏)
- Wen Party (温党)
- Wen Emperor (温帝)
- movie star (影帝)
- Yang Zhiyun (杨志云): Wen’s mother
- Duan Weihong (段伟红): Founder of Taihong, the company which served as the vehicle for Wen’s relatives’ shares in Ping An Insurance.
- Daimengde (戴梦得): Wen’s wife Zhang Beili’s jewelry company.
- Wen + diamond queen (温+钻石女王): Zhang has earned the nickname “diamond queen” for her role in the industry.
- Lady Wen (温夫人)
- Wen Yunsong (温云松): Re-tested. Wen’s only son.
- Crown Prince Wen (温太子)
- Young Master Wen (温少爷)
- Zheng Jianyuan (郑建源): Wen Yunsong’s alias according to online rumor.
- China Satellite Communications Corporation (中国卫通): Wen Yunsong is currently chairman.
- New Horizon Capital (新天域资本公司): Wen Yunsong is one of the founders.
- Excellence Science and Technology (创优科技): Company founded by Wen Yunsong.
- Zhang Beili (张培莉): Re-tested.
- Wen Jiahong (温家宏): Re-tested.
- Grandpa Wen (温爷爷): Re-tested. One of Wen’s nicknames, earned for his public appearances with ordinary people.
- Prime Minister Wen (温相): Re-tested.
Note: All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information. To add words, check out the form at the bottom of CDT Chinese’s latest sensitive words post.