Sensitive Words: Maoming PX Protest
As of April 5, the following search terms are blocked on Sina Weibo (not including the “search for user” function).
Maoming Protests Continue: Residents of the city in Guangdong are trying to keep a proposed paraxylene (PX) plant out of their city. PX is used in the manufacture of plastics. The authorities admit that some protesters were injured, but deny that anyone was killed. Protests have also spread to Shenzhen and Guangzhou.
See our March 31 Sensitive Words post for more blocked keywords.
- 茂名＋P（X）(Maoming+P[X]): Unblocked as of April 7. However, “茂名＋PX” (Maoming+PX) is currently blocked.
- 茂名＋芳烃 (Maoming+aromatic hydrocarbon): PX is an aromatic hydrocarbon.
- 茂名＋化工 (Maoming+chemical industry)
- 茂名＋石化工程 (Maoming+petrochemical engineering project)
- 茂名＋血腥 (Maoming+bloody)
- 茂名＋警察 (Maoming+police)
- 茂名＋坦克 (Maoming+tank)
- 茂名＋屠杀 (Maoming+massacre)
- 茂名＋冲突 (Maoming+conflict)
- 茂名＋示威 (Maoming+demonstration)
- 茂名＋游行 (Maoming+march)
- 茂名＋聚集 (Maoming+assemble)
- 茂名＋上街＋散步 (Maoming+take to the streets+take a walk)
- maoming＋上街＋散步 (Maoming+take to the streets+take a walk)
Also Blocked: 詹敏利 (Zhan Muli), the mother-in-law of Zhou Yongkang’s son, Zhou Bin. Zhan, who lives in the U.S., told the Wall Street Journal that her family members have become “political sacrifices” (政治牺牲品).
Via CDT Chinese.
Browse all of CDT’s collected sensitive words on our bilingual Google spreadsheet.
All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information.
Have a sensitive word tip? Submit it to CDT through this form: