Recent months have seen a spate of detentions and interrogations of Twitter users within China,...
by Sophie Beach | Jun 16, 2015
For Vice, Arvind Dilawar interviews artist Wu Yuren about life under surveillance, as he is called...
by Josh Rudolph | Jul 8, 2014
After author Murong Xuecun issued a “statement of surrender” to Chinese authorities...
by Sophie Beach | Mar 22, 2013
As close to 15,000 (and counting) pig carcasses are being pulled from the Huangpu River, the story has become a hot topic on weibo and elsewhere online in China, with cartoonists satirizing the scene and others questioning how...
by Samuel Wade | Jan 29, 2013
The blogger who released a sex video that brought down Chongqing official Lei Zhengfu last year has refused to hand over footage of other officials despite threats of prison time for withholding evidence. Following a late-night...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods