Once fêted at home and abroad as an emblem of China’s rising power, Alibaba has fallen on hard times. Spin-off Ant Group’s IPO was blocked at the eleventh hour by Xi Jinping’s personal fiat. Founder Jack Ma has all but...
by Sophie Beach | Jan 2, 2018
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been...
by Sophie Beach | Dec 18, 2017
Artist Hua Yong was briefly detained in Tianjin over the weekend after producing a series of...
by Josh Rudolph | Mar 20, 2017
Over the weekend, state broadcaster CCTV aired a segment titled “Beginner’s Mind: the...
by Samuel Wade | Feb 15, 2017
Cartoonist Rebel Pepper comments on the case of Guangxi Normal University Press social media...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods