Images of children’s book and cartoon bear Winnie the Pooh have been used to poke fun at China’s president since 2013, when social media users noticed their alleged resemblance during a visit by Xi Jinping to the United States. On Saturday, the meme reared up again, spurred by a Weibo...
by Sophie Beach | Jan 2, 2018
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been...
by Sophie Beach | Dec 18, 2017
Artist Hua Yong was briefly detained in Tianjin over the weekend after producing a series of...
by Samuel Wade | Feb 15, 2017
Cartoonist Rebel Pepper comments on the case of Guangxi Normal University Press social media...
by Anne Henochowicz | Jan 12, 2017
How about we tear down your house and assault your family in exchange for a ballpoint pen? To...
CDT in the News
- DW – Where is Jack Ma? The mainstream media keep slience
- FT – Beijing orders Chinese media to censor coverage of Alibaba probe
- China Heritage – China’s Virus of Lies in 2020
- VOA Chinese – Year 2020 in Review: Xi Jinping steps up crackdown on independent journalists with unprecedented intensity
- Rest of World – Waving goodbye to Weibo