The CDT Censorship Digest is a monthly round-up of censored speech, propaganda developments, and rights defense in China. We have selected and adapted the most relevant and interesting stories for our English readers. We...
traditional Chinese medicine
Minitrue Diary, February 17, 2020: NPC Standing Committee, Media Missteps, Coronavirus Treatments, Price Hikes
by Samuel Wade | Nov 9, 2020
CDT has recently acquired and verified a collection of propaganda directives issued by central Party authorities to state media at the beginning of this year. These directives were issued on an almost daily basis in early 2020,...
by Sophie Beach | May 18, 2018
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been...
by Samuel Wade | Apr 6, 2013
China’s H7N9 flu outbreak had claimed 6 lives by Saturday, with the number of confirmed cases rising to 16. With the discovery of the virus among live poultry on sale at Shanghai markets, over 20,536 chickens, ducks, geese...
by Melissa M. Chan | Jan 29, 2013
As six bears are rescued from illegal bear bile farms, the New York Times reports the continuing demand for bear bile is threatening the bear population in Asia. This comes amid growing public concern for animal rights: Tigers,...
CDT in the News
- VOA – China Media Directives Reveal Granular Detail of State Censorship
- The Jamestown Foundation – Early Warning Brief: Factional Strife Intensifies as Xi Strives to Consolidate Power
- Politico – China’s crypto ban fuels new U.S. wedge issue
- RFA – Meng Wanzhou Arrest, Return Used as Patriotic Talking Point in Chinese Schools
- Colombo Gazette – Digital autocracy in China: An appraisal