One of the hottest new apps in China over the past few months came not from private developers in booming tech hubs, but straight out of the Ministry of Public Security. Called “National Anti-Fraud Center,” the app was launched...
by John Chan | Mar 15, 2021
Ideological orthodoxy has long been a top Party priority, and in recent years digital technology has been increasingly utilized by authorities toward that goal. Xuexi Qiangguo, a slick Alibaba-made app designed to teach users Xi...
by Samuel Wade | Aug 5, 2014
Reuters’ Jim Finkle notes China’s exclusion of American Symantec and Russian Kaspersky...
by Grace | Jul 22, 2014
According to China Internet Network Information Center, the number of Chinese Internet users...
by Natalie Ornell | Jan 5, 2014
The Wall Street Journal reports that Xiaomi’s sales more than doubled in 2013 but that the...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods