As of March 18, the following search terms are blocked on Sina Weibo (not including the “search for user” function).
- Zhang Chunxian+National Security Commission (张春贤＋国安委): The Hong Kong newspaper Wei Wen Po reported that Xinjiang Party Secretary Zhang Chunxian is a member of the National Security Commission.
- Zhou Yuangen (周元根): Zhou Yongkang’s original name. The Oriental Morning Post referred to the former security czar as Zhou Yuangen in a report about increased security in Zhou’s hometown.
- political upheaval (政局动荡)
- undersell the Renminbi (抛售人民币)
- Tibetan Youth Congress (藏青会)
- Zhang Fengmei+naked (张凤梅＋裸体): Zhang’s son, Yang Jinde, was beaten in paralysis and sentenced to 18 years in prison after going to Beijing as a petitioner two years ago [zh]. Zhang has been petitioning in Beijing herself ever since. After her release from an “admonishment center” in her hometown of Nanyang, Henan, she has recently continued to seek redress by going naked in the street. Many photos of Zhang’s naked protest have already been deleted from Weibo [zh].
- Xi+centralization of state power (习＋集权)
- Xi+Jiang (习＋江): Xi Jinping + Jiang Zemin
- President Mat (席主席): “Mat” (xí 席) sounds the same as Xi Jinping’s surname (Xí 习).
- remove Xi (除习)
- Mao+emperor (毛＋皇帝)
- Zhongnanhai+(power) struggle (中南海＋（权）斗)
Via CDT Chinese.
Browse all of CDT’s collected sensitive words on our bilingual Google spreadsheet.
All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information.
Have a sensitive word tip? Submit it to CDT through this form: