As of May 1, the following search terms are blocked on Weibo (not including the “search for user” function).
- Xi+explosion (习＋爆炸): Towards the end of President Xi Jinping's visit to Xinjiang, an explosion at an main Urumqi train station left three dead and dozens injured.
- Sanjiang+crucifix (三江＋十字架): After an intense battle with local authorities, the Sanjiang church in Wenzhou was demolished on Monday.
- demolish+crucifix (拆除＋十字架)
More potential victims of Xi Jinping's anti-corruption campaign, which some say looks more like a "political witch hunt."
- Zeng Qinghong+son (曾庆红＋儿子): Zeng Qinghong was vice president from 2003 to 2008. His son, Zeng Wei, is rumored to be under house arrest. Zeng Qinghong himself is also thought to be backing HNA Group Chair Chen Feng.
- Zeng Qinghong+Chen Feng (曾庆红＋陈峰)
- Zeng Qinghong+Liu Zhenya (曾庆红＋刘振亚): Liu is chair of the State Grid Corporation of China, the country's largest electric grid operator. Liu will be audited, a source has told the South China Morning Post.
- Zeng Wei+Luneng (曾伟＋鲁能): Zeng Wei sold shares of the state-owned power company Luneng, a scheme that Caijing revealed in a 2007 investigation.
- Wang Fengqing+niece (王凤清＋侄女): Wang Xiaoling, the anti-corruption chief of Guangzhou, is said to be the niece of Zeng Qinghong's wife, Wang Fengqing. Du Yuqing, the former president of the Guangzhou Daily, has accused Wang Xiaoling of framing him in a bribery scandal. "Wang Xiaoling" was blocked on Weibo as of April 28.
- Li Keqiang+Wang Junlian (李克强＋王俊莲): Wang Junlian, Li Keqiang's former secretary and current Party secretary of Liaoning, may have been removed from office.
Lin Zhao was executed on April 29, 1968 for speaking out against the Chinese Communist Party, which she had once been devoted to. Weibo user Jiang Chun (江湻) writes that Lin's grave is blocked:
江湻: Mountain Path to Lin Zhao's Grave Blocked--On the afternoon of April 30, as Mr. Zhu Chengzhi was going to Lin Zhao's grave to leave flowers and perform rites, he found the mountain road blocked by a locked iron gate. Brother Zhu protested in front of the gate! Why do millions of soldiers and police fear a helpless woman who died for her cause 46 years ago?! I ask netizens who are in the area to watch for the safety of Mr. Zhu and others!
【林昭墓山路被封锁】4月30日下午，朱承志先生去林昭墓献花祭奠，上山路已经被铁门锁住，朱大哥在铁门前抗议！——几百万军警，为何害怕一个殉难46年的弱女子？！请当地网友关注朱先生等人的安危！ [Chinese Source]
Other search terms related to Lin Zhao were blocked as of April 28.
- 林昭＋无罪 Lin Zhao+innocent
- 林昭＋苏州祭奠 Lin Zhao+Suzhou memorial ceremony
No Love for Mao
- Mao+beat the body of the dead (毛＋鞭尸)
- Mao+zombie (毛＋僵尸)
- Mao+butcher (毛＋屠夫)
- Mao+massacre (毛＋屠杀)
- cured meat+mausoleum (腊肉＋纪念馆)
Browse all of CDT’s collected sensitive words.
All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information.
Have a sensitive word tip? Submit it to CDT through this form: