As of May 12, the following search terms are blocked on Weibo (not including the “search for user” function).
- puzhiqiang – This and the blocked keyword below are alternate renderings of Pu Zhiqiang, the rights defense lawyer who was detained last week after attending a seminar about June 4th. Several Boolean search related to Pu and his detention have been blocked since May 6.
- 中泰＋垃圾焚烧: Zhongtai+garbage incineration – Residents of Zhongtai Township in Hangzhou clashed with police over the weekend during a protest against plans to construct a garbage incinerator.
- 华润＋贺国强: China Resources+He Guoqiang: An investigation of former China Resources chair Song Lin has given life to a rumor that former Politburo Standing Committee member He Guoqiang, whose son has associated with Song, could also undergo a corruption probe.
- 常委＋贪腐: [Politburo] standing committee member+corrupt
- （习近平）讲话精神研究中心: (Xi Jinping) speech essence research center
- 习＋特勒: Xi+tele – sounds like “Hitler” (希特勒 Xītèlè)
- 中国教父＋习（近平）: China’s Godfather Xi (Jinping) – Yao Wentian (Yiu Mantin), the Hong Kong publisher of Yu Jie’s latest book, Xi Jinping: China’s Godfather, has been sentenced to 10 years in prison in China after he was detained in Shenzhen in January.
- 傅部: Deputy Fu – Fu Zhenghua (傅政华), China’s vice-minister of public security, told police “to hone the skill of tackling the enemy with one bullet” after last week’s knife attack at a Guangzhou train station.
- 付部: Deputy Fu – Fu Zhenghua, written with an alternate character for “Fu.”
- 朱琳: Zhu Lin – Li Peng’s wife.
- 电婊: Electric Whore – Derogatory name for Li Xiaolin.
- 潘涂＋村民: Pantu+villagers
- 性交易: sex trade
All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information.
Have a sensitive word tip? Submit it to CDT through this form: