As of October 8, the following search terms are blocked on Weibo (not including the “search for user” function).
- 香港＋抗议＋人大: Hong Kong + protest + People’s Congress
- umbrella revolution
- 撑起雨伞: open umbrella
- 雨遮革命: awning revolution
- 香港觉醒: Hong Kong wake up
- 敢想不敢说: dare to think not dare to say
- 站中: stand Central–“Stand” (站 zhàn) sounds the same as “occupy” (占 zhàn).
- 占领＋旺角: Occupy + Mong Kok
- 占领＋铜锣湾: Occupy + Causeway Bay
- 包围＋政总: surround + central government [offices]
- 冲击＋政总: impact + central government [offices]
- 旺角集会: Mong Kok assembly
- 张秀贤: Tommy Cheung Sau-yin–Former spokesperson for Scholarism and current president of the student union at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- 学生领袖: student leader–First block detected on June 4, 2011.
- 王伟光＋阶级斗争: great glorious and correct + class struggle–From the title of a satirical essay, “Great-Glorious-Correct ‘Denounced’” (伟光正遭“批斗”). Inspired by an article on by the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS) which called the Great Famine an “exploratory error,” the essay tries to divine the political logic behind an article penned by CASS “President” Mr. Great-Glorious-Correct, titled “Maintaining the People’s Democratic Dictatorship Is Not Wrong at All,” referencing the fictitious author’s connection to Bo Xilai.
- 主习: Master Xi–As in President Xi Jinping. “Master Xi” (主习 zhǔ Xí) sounds the same as “chairman” (主席 zhǔxí).
All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information.
Have a sensitive word tip? Submit it to CDT through this form: