Social media platform Weibo has once again been targeted by Chinese regulators for failing to...
by Josh Rudolph | Jun 9, 2017
Dozens of popular social media accounts and apps that focus on celebrity and entertainment news...
by Josh Rudolph | Dec 2, 2016
Chinese commercial property developer and entertainment conglomerate Dalian Wanda Group has in...
by Sophie Beach | Apr 18, 2010
With nowhere else to go, young people in China are going online for fun, the New York Times reports: Google’s decision last month to remove some of its operations from China has overshadowed a startling dynamic at work in this...
by Paulina Hartono | Sep 25, 2009
The CCTV talk show, Tell It Like It Is (实话实说), has been cancelled, reportedly due to low ratings. However, the show’s demise may be better explained by CCTV’s shift towards entertainment programming. Danwei’s...
by Sophie Beach | Sep 17, 2007
The Independent looks at the production of Mandarin-language versions of popular Broadway and West End musicals: To Western audiences, musicals may be a frothy and uplifting way to spend the evening, but like so much else, they are highly politicised in China. For many years, not a chorus line nor a technicolour dreamcoat were to […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China