In recent days, a number of major state and Party media outlets have simultaneously republished a relatively obscure essayist’s screed on sissy-boy celebrities, get-rich-quick capitalists, and lessons that the collapse of the...
by Samuel Wade | Jan 30, 2018
Social media platform Weibo has once again been targeted by Chinese regulators for failing to...
by Josh Rudolph | Jun 9, 2017
Dozens of popular social media accounts and apps that focus on celebrity and entertainment news...
by Josh Rudolph | Dec 2, 2016
Chinese commercial property developer and entertainment conglomerate Dalian Wanda Group has in...
by Sophie Beach | Apr 18, 2010
With nowhere else to go, young people in China are going online for fun, the New York Times reports: Google’s decision last month to remove some of its operations from China has overshadowed a startling dynamic at work in this...
by Paulina Hartono | Sep 25, 2009
The CCTV talk show, Tell It Like It Is (实话实说), has been cancelled, reportedly due to low ratings. However, the show’s demise may be better explained by CCTV’s shift towards entertainment programming. Danwei’s...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods