Sensitive Words: Leaders New and Old
As of November 16, the following search terms are blocked on Sina Weibo (not including the “search for user” function):
Pinyin Spelling of Leaders’ Names:
- [Zhang] dejiang: Member of the newly elected Politburo Standing Committee (PSC).
- [Zhang] gaoli: New PSC member.
- jiaqinglin: One of the outgoing PSC members.
- [Xi] jinping: Incoming CCP president. Re-tested.
- [Li] keqiang: Incoming CCP prime minister.
- [Wang] qishan ([王] 岐山): New PSC member.
- wangyang (汪洋): Party Secretary of Guangdong Province. Wang’s absence from the new PSC troubles those who hope for reform in China’s new leadership.
- [Liu] yunshan ([刘] 云山): New PSC member.
- [Yu] zhengsheng ([俞] 正声): New PSC member.
Xi Jinping and his wife Peng Liyuan:
- XiJP (习JP): Xi Jinping
- Secretary Xi (习书记)
- Crown Prince/Emperor Xi (习皇（储/帝）)
- Xi Cannot-Comment (习禁评): re-tested
- Chairman Xi (习主席): re-tested
- Lady Xi (习夫人): Refers to Peng Liyuan.
- Lady Peng (彭夫人)
- Her Majesty the Empress (皇后娘娘)
- First Lady (第一夫人)
- Mother of the Nation (国母): re-tested
Other Post-18th-Party-Congress Terms:
- Seven Chiefs (七巨头): Refers to the seven new members of the PSC.
- Prime Minister Li (李总理): Li Keqiang
- Kim Il-sung + university (金日成+大学): Official documents reveal that PSC member Zhang Dejiang graduated with a degree in economics from North Korea’s Kim Il-sung University.
- join the PSC (入常): re-tested
- Liu Yongqing (刘永清): Hu Jintao’s wife.
- Prime Minister Wen (温总理): Wen Jiabao
- Bo Wen (薄温): Refers to Bo Xilai and Wen Jiabao.
- Yan Jingjing (阎晶晶): Yan Weiwen’s daughter, who is also Li Zhaoxing’s daughter-in-law. Yan Weiwen is a tenor in the People’s Liberation Army General Political Department Song and Dance Troupe. Li Zhaoxing served as ambassador to the U.S. from 1998 to 2001, and as a PSC member and Minister of Foreign Affairs from 2003 to 2007.
- Li Hehe (李禾禾): Li Zhaoxing’s son. Re-tested.
Note: All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information. To add words, check out the form at the bottom of CDT Chinese’s latest sensitive words post.