As of July 15, the following search terms are blocked on Weibo (not including the “search for user” function).
Embezzlement Rumor: Song Zuying, a folk singer in the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Naval Song and Dance Troupe, is rumored to be under investigation for misappropriating military funds.
- （宋）祖英＋出事: (Song) Zuying + something happened
- （宋）祖英＋调查: (Song) Zuying + investigation
- 宋祖英＋军纪委: Song Zuying + military discipline inspection commission
- 宋祖英＋军费: Song Zuying + military funds
- 宋祖英＋挪用: Song Zuying + embezzle
- 宋祖英＋后台: Song Zuying + backstage
- 国母: first lady (retested) — Song has also long been rumored to have had an affair with Jiang Zemin during his presidency.
- 宋祖英＋蛤蟆: Song Zuying + toad — Jiang Zemin is mockingly nicknamed “Toad.”
- 老老虎: old tiger (retested)
Rui Chenggang: The popular CCTV host was detained last Friday on suspicion of graft.
- 芮成钢＋被查: Rui Chenggang + be investigated
- 刘乐飞: Liu Lefei — Rui reportedly socializes with Liu Lefei, son of Politburo Standing Committee member Liu Yunshan, and other “princelings” [Chinese].
Jia Qinglin and Guo Boxiong: Rumor has spread online that over 500 troops from 38 military branches were deployed to capture Jia Qinglin. iAsk.ca [Chinese] reports that Twitter user @CaiChu tweeted the rumor on July 11, but that a Boxun journalist believes the rumor has started by Ling Jihua in revenge for his own downfall. @CaiChu’s account has since been suspended. PLA official Guo Boxiong was also rumored to have been detained around the same time as Jia Qinglin.
- 38军＋贾: 38 military [divisions] + Jia
- 500余人＋贾: over 500 people + Jia
- 令计划＋大秘: Ling Jihua + big secret
- 郭伯雄: Guo Boxiong
All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information.
Have a sensitive word tip? Submit it to CDT through this form: