Earlier this year, efforts to unionize China’s seven million food-delivery drivers were battered by the arrests of Chen Guojiang, or “Mengzhu” to his thousands of social media followers, and a host of other prominent labor...
by Josh Rudolph | Mar 4, 2021
Amid the ongoing pandemic, the services provided by food delivery platforms have become a lifeline for many shut-in or socially distanced consumers, in China and elsewhere. Despite the newfound essentiality of delivery drivers...
by Samuel Wade | Oct 24, 2016
Last month saw the long-anticipated trials of three Guangdong labor activists charged with...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 30, 2016
On Monday, three labor activists associated with Guangdong’s Panyu Worker’s Center were sentenced...
by Josh Rudolph | Mar 18, 2016
A court in Langzhong, Sichuan this week held an outdoor, public mass trial for eight migrant...
by Sophie Beach | Mar 2, 2016
Amid an economic downturn and a plan to streamline the state-owned sector, the Chinese government...
CDT in the News
- Human Rights Watch – Chinese Cyber Legend Vanishes, Raising Concerns
- PRI The World – Front row seat at China’s 100th anniversary celebrations
- Mind Matters – Chinese Communist Party: 100 Years of Erasing, Rewriting History
- The Jamestown Foundation – The 2021 Party History Study Campaign Stresses Revolution and Sacrifice
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’