In 2014, Leta Hong Fincher published her first book, Leftover Women: The Resurgence of Gender Inequality in China, which used the lens of home ownership and marital property rights to examine...
The over-reliance on technology by many government departments is lazy governance. As technology displaces concrete administrative work, the functioning of these departments becomes completely reliant on third parties [who provide the technology], making local officials into puppets."— From “Bureaucratic Formalism Has Made It Impossible for Local Cadres to Get Anything Done,” an essay by Lu Dewen, a Wuhan University sociologist whose research focuses on rural governance
CDT in the News
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction
- Sinocism – Sharp China: The Foreign Influencer Ecosystem; Money Flowing Out of China; Xi’s Exit Strategy; A Mao YouTube Controversy (11.29.2023)
- Sinocism – 2023 Weekly Discussion Thread #36: Xi in San Francisco; TikTok
- Libération CheckNews – Baidu et Alibaba, les deux géants chinois du Web, ont-ils remplacé Israël par la Palestine sur leurs cartes ?